Thursday, May 17, 2012

Harbinger : Book Review

Harbinger      Click for the Summary!

Title : Harbinger
Series : - 
Author : Sara Wilson Etienne
Pages : 309
Release Date : Feb 2nd 2012
Publisher : G.P. Putnam's Sons BYR
Format : Hardcover
Source :  Library - Borrowed








My Opinion :


I had high expectations for Harbinger. But, sadly, there weren't met. I intended to buy myself a copy of the book, since, at first, my library didn't have it, but when I saw they did, I jumped on the occasion to read it! I was thrilled that they had it (I don't know why I was thrilled anymore :S). But, I don't really get what the hype was about :S

The book held a definitely great premise. It's about a girl, Faye, who's been having those weird visions since she was a little kid. Now, her parents can't take it anymore and send her to Holbrook Academy, a place for troubled teens. There, she finds her Family (with a capital F... read the book to know why.... although... I don,t recommend reading the book :S), parts of herself, and why she has been having her vision. She also meets Kel, a member of her Family, and kinda falls in love with him (kinda, because it's really confusing...)

As I said, I had high expectations for this book. The premise sounded great, and I couldn't wait to see what this new voice in young adult, Sara Wilson Etienne, had in store for us/me. I had heard great things about it; people raving about how good it was, or about how they loved it as a thriller.... but I would describe it as a Confuser, because it was just so damn confusing with all these secrets, and 'not-knowing-who-I-am' and the 'am-I-the-bad-guy-ir-is-the-guy-I-am-in-love-with-is?' kinda things.

The romance in the book was practically non-existent, and, I don't like that. I always love it when there'S a cute or rough romance sotry in a book, even if it's not the main story, I love it when it'S just a 'side dish', but, here it was like a a piece of butter to put on a bread that you barely eat (did you like my food reference? Hehe)

Faye was so confused, so since the book was in her point of view, that made the book a whole more confusing than it already were. Although, aside from that, she was a pretty okay character, and she was well developed (why do I always put TWO Ps to developed? UGHHHHH!) and well detailed!

Kel... I didn't like him. At all. He was even MORE confusing than Faye (I wonder if he did that on purpose!), and, I think it'S the first time that I hate the male lead interest in a book! I just... he was annoying.

The other characters.... they were all annoying, except for Zach; he was just so cute!

I won't insult the author, because even though the story was confusing and the characters not that fun, her writing style was the kind I appreciate, and so I am looking out for her next book, hoping that it'll be good!

So, I was really sad that I didn't like this book :S

Also, I really love the cover, and I was sad I didn't like the book.


RATING

/
2 and a half roses :S

Other book(s) by the author :

She's currently writing a book :D


Book Trailer :



Author Bio : 
Sara Wilson Etienne'I used to dream of being a marine biologist but quickly realized that I love fantasy more than fact. Now I enjoy combining both to create stories that ask “What if?” I write in sunny California alongside my artist husband and my two dogs. 

My favorite days are spent disappearing into different universes, whether it’s traveling with Dr. Who, popping into a parallel world with Diana Wynne Jones, writing my own stories, or just taking a nap. 

Harbinger is my first novel.'



No comments:

Post a Comment