Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Grave Mercy : Book Review

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
Me loves the covah!


                   Click for the Summary!

Title : Grave Mercy
Series : His Fair Assassin #1 
Author : Robin LaFever
Pages : 549
Release Date : April 3rd 2012
Publisher : Houghton Mifflin Harcourt / Thomas Allen & Son
Format : Harcover
Source :  
**An hardcover copy was provided by Thomas Allen & Son in exchange of an honest review**




My Opinion :


Grave Mercy will mesmerize you from the start.


Grave Mercy is one of the bests, if not the best, historical romance fiction novel I have read. It is simply wonderful.


I was so thrilled to get my copy of this (freaking huge) book. However, since of how long the book is, I had to stop reading it for a while, and I was quite sad about that. But, once I picked it up again, I fell in love again.

Grave Mercy is a thrilling book about Ismae, daughter of a bastard father that has beaten her her whole life, and that has now sold her to Guillo, a bastard pig himself. But then, she makes a journey to a Saint Mortmain's convent. Saint Mortmain is the god of death, and she is one of his daughters. She learns the art of killing, poisoning and fighting. But then, she is sent to court to spy for her convent, but there is a traitor. But whom is it? Grave Mercy is such a suspenseful novel; I could not stop thinking about it!


I absolutely loved Grave Mercy. With its perfect writing; its perfect pace, I just effing loved it. The writing is incredible; it's written with the kind of old English, although only some : in my stead and not instead, or break my fast instead of breakfast. Just some things like that that made this novel way more interesting and perfect.

Ismae is the main character, and the whole book is in her point of view, which made it interesting, but I have to admit I would really love to see a little book with some of Duval's point of view. But, I absolutely loved that Ismae killed people... it just made it more dramatic and fun and... plainly awesome.

Duval was... not enough in the book, if you ask me. I really enjoyed his character, but I think I could have enjoyed it much more if he were more present in the book. Although he was present, he wasn't present enough romantically towards Ismae. We only get a few scenes with their romance, and I really feel like it'S not enough, since I really enjoy romance.

Sybella wasn't a really developed character, but when I read about the second book, it says that the story is going to be about her; I can't wait to read about her!

And the traitor... I'm not going to reveal his name... but what a freaking bastard. I could kill him.

Grave Mercy was just... wow. You need to read this book, like, NOW! It was amazing!

You. Will. Read. This. Books. *stares*Go. Now.



RATING


5 roses!

Other books in the series :

No other has been released yet, but the sequel is called Dark Triumph and the third is called Dark Hope!

Other books by the author :



Book Trailer :  





Author Bio : 

R.L. LaFeversR.L. LaFevers (Robin Lorraine when she’s in really big trouble) grew up surrounded by shelves of old dusty books and a passel of brothers. She has also spent a large portion of her life being told she was making up things that weren’t there, which only proves she was destined to write fiction. She is the author of over fourteen books for young readers, including THEODOSIA AND THE SERPENTS OF CHAOS, (Houghton Mifflin, 2007) which received starred reviews and was a Junior Library Guild selection, a Booksense Summer Pick, and nominated for the Malice Domestic’s Agatha Award, and the NATHANIEL FLUDD, BEASTOLOGIST series. Her first young adult novel, GRAVE MERCY, will be published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in Spring of 2012. She currently lives with her husband and a demonic cat in Southern California and spends her days gazing longingly at ancient artifacts or wallowing in old forgotten texts.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree about Duval! I would have LOVED to see him more in the book book (especially with a little more romance!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many people seem to love this book, I'm going to have to read this soon.
    Janiera @ This is From My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book it was just so good. Ismae is certainly one of my favorite female protagonists in a good long while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun book. I am always on the lookout for good books. I love strong female characters. It's so refreshing! I will have to pick this one up. Thanks for the review.
    Brittany S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grave Mercy is a historical novel, it certainly didn't read like one! Ismae's story is as engrossing and action-packed as it is intelligent and emotionally driven.

    What I loved most about Grave Mercy was Ismae's growth from a broken, hopeless girl, to a confident and strong woman. Once taken in by the convent, young Ismae learns skills she could never have dreamed of learning in her old life. She learns thousands of ways to kill and finally finds a home in the convent. Ismae's personal growth was certainly not limited to her confidence and strength: She grew emotionally the most of all. She learned of real love, due to the kindess and trust of Duval.

    Robin did a fantastic job developing the relationship between Duval and Ismae! It was such a natural and believable progression. Both Duval and Ismae were constantly on guard with one another, worried the other might betray them. Yet, somehow, over time they were able to gain each other's trust. Their love carried a realness with it that is rare in YA books these days. I also enjoyed the fact that their relationship didn't overshadow their duty. Both Ismae and Duval maintained noble and loyal intentions throughout the book.

    ReplyDelete